Thai-style Beef Curry
Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
This Y-group is international. Good food from all parts of the world. A place where we can share the wonderful food from all over the world.
- Serves 4 to 6
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) curry paste or powder
- 1 lb (450 g) beef stew meat, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1-inch (3 cm) pieces
- 2 bay (laurel) leaves
- 1½ cups (375 ml) coconut milk
- 1½ cups (375 ml) beef stock
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) Asian fish sauce (nam pla, nuoc mam)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lime or lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar
- 1 lb (450 g) new potatoes, halved
- ¼ lb (110 g) pearl onions, peeled
- ¼ lb (110 g) green beans (haricots), halved
- 1 red bell pepper (capsicum) cored, seeded, and cut into thin strips
- 1 cup (250 ml) unsalted roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped, plus additional for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over moderate heat and saute the curry paste for about 30 seconds.
- Add the beef and saute until the beef is lightly browned and coated with the curry mixture.
- Add the bay leaves, coconut milk, and beef broth and bring to a boil.
- Simmer covered until the beef is tender, about 1 hour.
- Add the onions and potatoes and cook covered for 10 minutes.
- Add the green beans, bell pepper, and peanuts and simmer covered for 10 more minutes.
- Serve the meat and vegetables along with the broth, garnished with chopped peanuts if desired.