Tex-Mex Roasted Chicken
Contributed by Judi M. Phelps
- Yield: 5 servings.
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp dried whole basil
- ½ tsp dried whole oregano
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 lbs broiler-fryer chicken, skinned
- 2 cup yellow squash, coarsely-chopped
- 2 cup zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 1¼ cup tomatoes, unpeeled, seeded-and coarsely chopped
- Combine first 6 ingredients; stir well and set aside.
- Remove giblets and neck from chicken; discard.
- Then rinse chicken under cold running water; pat dry.
- Rub outside of chicken with spice mixture.
- Tie ends of legs to tail with string; lift wingtips up and over back, and tuck under chicken.
- Place chicken, breast side down, in a deep 3-quart casserole.
- Cover with wax paper and microwave at high 8 to 9 minutes.
- Turn chicken, breast side up, and microwave, covered, at high 8 to 9 minutes.
- Remove chicken to serving platter; reserve drippings in casserole.
- Let chicken stand, covered, 15 minutes.
- Add vegetables to drippings; toss gently to coat.
- Microwave a high 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender stirring halfway through cooking process.
- Arrange vegetables around chicken.
- about 192 calories per 3 oz. chicken and 1¼ cups vegetables. | Protein 26.3 | fat 6.8 | carbohydrate 6.3 | chol. 76 | iron 2.1 | sodium 203 | calcium 4