Steamed Pudding with Golden Syrup
- Cream the butter and Sugar.
- Beat in the egg.
- Fold in the flour alternately with milk and vanilla.
- Put the golden syrup in the bottom of a 4 cup pudding basin or ordinary ceramic basin.
- Spoon the pudding mixture on to the top of the golden syrup.
- Cover with a lid or pudding cap, or use greaseproof paper or aluminium foil fastened with string or a rubber band.
- Put the bowl in a large saucepan with about 10 cm of water.
- The water should come halfway up the side of the pudding bowl.
- Simmer gently for about 1½ hours.
- Remove the water, let it rest for 5 minutes and then turn it out onto a dish.
- Serve with cream or ice cream or, more traditionally, custard (hot in winter).