Sponge Cake with Olive Oil
Makes 8 to 10 servings. At Jordan, slices of this light, golden sponge cake are accompanied by a scoop of vanilla ice cream and served with a glass of late harvest dessert wine or port. This cake is also excellent served plain with coffee or afternoon tea.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup Jordan Extra Virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup Jordan Chardonnay
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup roasted, chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. butter sides of a 9-inch diameter cake pan and line the base with a circle of baking parchment.
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggs until combined and gradually add Sugar, beating until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Pour olive oil and wine around edge of bowl and fold in with a rubber spatula.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt, and fold into the egg mixture.
- Fold in the walnuts and the chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and bake until a toothpick can be inserted and pulled out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven. Let stand for 10 minutes in pan, then turn out onto a cooling rack.
- Peel off paper, turn cake right side up, and allow to cool completely.