Spanish Rice Pilaf
Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- Serving Size : 10
- ½ large yellow onion -- diced fine
- 3 cloves garlic -- minced
- 1 pint (1 cup) rice (correct me, if I'm wrong about that))
- 1 cup v-8 vegetable juice
- 1 can whole tomatoes -- crushed
- 1 cup water
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons chicken base or 1 cube chicken bouillon
- ¼ pound butter
- Sauté onion in a little oil until clear.
- Add garlic, and sauté until fragrant.
- Add rice, and sauté until a nutty smells develops (2-3 minutes).
- Pour in V-8 juice, tomatoes, and water.
- Add cumin, coriander, white pepper, salt, and chicken base or bullion.
- Bring to a boil.
- At this time i usually cover the pot, and throw it in the oven for about twenty-five minutes.
- This almost guarantees that you won't scorch or burn it; however, you can cook it own the stove top.
- Just turn the flame or element to a low temperature, and watch the rice closely.
- When water is gone and rice is firm not mushy, remove from heat source.
- Add butter to top.
- After butter has melted, gently fold rice to evenly distribute the butter.
- Adjust the salt content to your liking.