Smoked Beef Jerky
Purchased from the Rosenthal Estate in Montgomery, Alabama in 1989. Date unknown. My brothers love Jerky so I make this for them, I'm not a jerky fan, but they love this recipe. Makes nice gifts for their birthday and also at Christmas.
- 5 pounds Beef, any cut (I usually use rump roast)
- ½ cup non-iodized salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 quart water
- Trim all fat from meat.
- Slice meat with the grain as thin as possible.
- Place the meat in cool brine and refrigerate overnight.
- Take meat from brine, rinse lightly and allow to drain on paper towels for 1 hour.
- Place meat strips on smoker racks and dry for 12 hours using your favorite wood (I always use Hickory).
- When strips are the dryness you like, cool and transfer to plastic bag for storage.