Slow-cooked Sicilian Pot Roast
- Source: The Complete Diabetes Prevention Plan
- Yield: 8 servings
- 2½ lb well-trimmed top round roast or flat half brisket
- ½ tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped red or green bell peppers or 1 cup roasted bell peppers, drained and chopped
- 14½ oz can diced Italian-style tomatoes, undrained
- 6oz can tomato paste with roasted garlic or Italian seasonings
- Rinse the meat with cool water and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Sprinkle both sides with some of the pepper.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray and preheat over medium-high heat.
- Place the meat in the skillet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until nicely browned.
- Place the mushrooms, onions, and bell peppers in a 3-quart slow cooker and top with the roast.
- Pour the tomatoes over the meat.
- Cover and cook on high for 5 hours or on low for 10 hours, until the meat is very tender.
- Remove the roast to a serving platter and cover loosely with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Add the tomato paste to the remaining slow cooker mixture and stir to mix well.
- Slice the roast across the grain and serve hot accompanied by the sauce.
- Serve with pasta if desired.
Per serving (⅛ of recipe):
- 221 Calories | 12g Carbs | 2g Fiber | 80mg Cholesterol | 5.7g Fat | 1.7g Saturated Fat | 29g Protein | 440mg Sodium | 36mg Calcium
- Diabetic Exchanges: 3 Lean Meat | 2 Vegetable
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/