Salad rolls with pumpkin and tofu is also known as "Bo Bia" and can be served as a snack.
- Cook the tofu in a pan with oil
- Transfer to a plate and cut into thin strips.
- Sauté the shallots and garlic.
- Add the pumpkin and carrot, then pour in the soy sauce and ½ cup water.
- Add a little salt to taste and cook gently until the vegetables have softened but still have a bite to them.
- Meanwhile, arrange the tofu, chilies, lettuce, basil, roasted peanuts and hoisin sauce in separate dishes.
- Fill a bowl with hot water and place it in the middle of the table, or fill a small bowl for each person, and place the stack of rice wrappers beside it.
- To eat, take a rice wrapper and dip it in the water for a few seconds t soften. Lay the wrapper flat on the table or on a plate and , just off centre, spread a few strips of lettuce, followed by the pumpkin mixture, some tofu, a sprinkling of chilies, a drizzle of hoisin sauce, some basil leaves and peanuts, layering the ingredients in a neat stack.
- Pull the shorter edge of the wrapper (the side with filling on it) up over the stack, tuck in the sides and roll into a tight cylinder.