Quick Catfish Gumbo
A Catfish recipe
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups beef stock or canned broth
- 1 x 6-ounce can whole tomatoes, cut up
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 2 pounds U.S. Farm-Raised catfish fillets, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 x 10-ounce package frozen cut okra
- 4 cups cooked rice
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add celery, onion, bell pepper and garlic and sauté until tender.
- Stir in beef broth, tomatoes, bay leaf, salt, thyme, cayenne pepper and oregano.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add catfish and okra to pan.
- Return to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Divide rice among serving bowls and spoon gumbo over top.