Pumpkin Leaves with Peanuts
Choose pumpkin leaves that are young, yet fully developed, or substitute spinach, pigweed, kale, Swiss chard or other greens. Serve with cabbage and tomato sauce or Nshimba for a Zambian-style feast. May also serve with rice.
- Serves 5 – 6
- 2 lbs (1 kg) pumpkin leaves (about 2 qt. or 2 l) 
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 – 1½ cups peanuts (250 - 375 ml), coarsely ground with pestle or in blender 
- 1 tbsp margarine (15 ml) (optional)
- ½ tbsp salt
- Rinse well, devein, and chop the pumpkin leaves.
- Cook in 2 cups water (500 ml) 5 minutes.
- Add onion and tomato and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add peanuts and cook over low-medium heat about 15 minutes.
- Stirring often to avoid sticking.
- Add more water if necessary.
- Just before serving, drain any excess water and add margarine and salt.