Portuguese-style Butternut Squash Soup
Original Recipe by: Twelve Months of Monastery Soups. p. 51
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 3 onions, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 butternut squash, peeled,
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 7 cups chicken stock, or vegetable stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ⅓ cup parsley, minced
- fresh thyme leaves
- Pour the olive oil into a large soup pot and saute the onions and garlic over low heat for 3-5 minutes. Turn off the heat, cover the pot and let the onion-garlic mixture steam for 15 minutes.
- Add the squash, potato and carrot and stir the mixture well. Pour in the stock and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover the pot, and let it simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the seasoning and parsley, stir well, cover the pot , and continue simmering for another 15 minutes.
- Blend one third of the soup at a time in a blender or food processor and return it to the original, but clean, pot. Reheat the soup over low heat, but do not let it come to a boil.
- Serve hot and sprinkle fresh thyme leaves on top of each serving as garnish.