- Set the water to boil.
- When the water is boiling, add the salt and a little of the cornmeal.
- After a few minutes, when the water is boiling, add the rest of the cornmeal.
- Mix it briefly and then let it boil at low temperature for about half an hour.
- Then, with a wooden spoon start mixing vigorously.
- If the polenta seems soft, add a little bit more corn meal.
- Mix continuously. To test if the polenta is done, hold the wooden spoon straight.
- Rotate it fast between your palms and then try to pull it out.
- If it comes out clean, the polenta is done.
- If not, let the polenta boil a little longer.
- Then you wet a wooden spoon in water and gather the polenta to the center.
- Let it boil a few more minutes and then shake the pot a few times and turn over the hot polenta on a wooden cutting board (not recommended to pour on a plate).
- Let it set for a few minutes and then cut it with a clean string.