The vlaai is originally from Limburg. This particular version needs no baking and combines a crunchy base with a lovely sweet filling.
- Melt 25 g butter and the syrup on a low heat.
- Mix the oats and dates in a bowl.
- Pour in the butter and syrup mix and mix thoroughly with a metal spoon.
- Use the remaining 15 g butter to grease the baking tin.
- Press the mixture firmly into the baking tin.
- Put it in a plastic bag and put in the fridge to set for about 5 hours or overnight.
- Chop the peanuts, peel 4 bananas.
- Slice and put in a bowl, and mash with a fork.
- Add the cream and half of the chopped peanuts.
- Mix well with the fork.
- Take the base out of the tin and fill with the mixture.
- Smooth the surface and garnish with the last banana and chopped peanuts.