Irish Coffee with Creamy Topping
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 can (12 ounce) evaporated skim milk, divided
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp sifted powdered sugar
- 6 cup hot strong brewed coffee
- ½ cup Irish whiskey
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp sugar
- Pour ½ cup milk into a small saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Place cornstarch in a small bowl; gradually add water, stirring with a wire whisk until blended.
- Add to simmering milk; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Combine cornstarch mixture, remaining 1 cup milk, and vanilla in a large bowl; freeze mixture 1 hour or until a ⅛-inch-thick layer of ice forms om the surface.
- Beat mixture at high speed of an electric mixer 5 minutes; gradually add sifted powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Cover and chill.
- Combine coffee, whiskey, and sugar; stir well.
- Pour into mugs; spoon topping onto coffee.
- Serve immediately.
- Cover and store remaining topping in refrigerator.
Per ¾ cup coffee and ½ cup topping:
- about 83 calories | 0.1 grams fat | 1 mg cholesterol | 40 mg sodium