Irish Buttermilk Bannock
Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- 4 cups all purpose / bread flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- Stir flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and raisins together.
- Separately, fork-blend eggs and buttermilk, then add to dry ingredients.
- Stir until sticky batter is formed.
- Scrape batter onto well floured surface and knead lightly.
- Shape batter into ball, then place in round non-stick casserole that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Mark a cross in the center, using a sharp knife.
- Bake uncovered in preheated 350 degree oven for about 1¼ hours.
- Wait 10–15 minutes before attempting to remove bread from casserole, then cool on wire rack.
- If desired, cut loaf into quarters and then slice thinly.