Gözleme is a savory Turkish pastry made by rolling dough with a thin roller and repeatedly folding it. It is filled, and browned in a pan. Varieties include:
- etli = meat
- ispanakli = with spinach
- karisik = mixed
- kasar peynirli = with yellow cow's milk cheese
- katmer = plain
- kiymali = with ground lamb
- mantarlı = mushrooms
- patatesli = with mashed potatoes
- peynirli = with white sheep's milk cheese (feta)
A modern variation is honey and banana served hot with a slice of lemon.
- 5¼ cups (600 grams) of all-purpose flour
- 2½ teaspoons (15 grams) of salt
- 2 teaspoons (7 grams) of dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) of sugar
- 1¼ (300 grams) of water
- ½ cup (100 grams) of oil
- ⅓ cup (65 grams) of butter
- Sift flour in a large bowl, reserving one cup of flour.
- Sprinkle with salt and mix. Make a hole in the centre.
- Combine yeast and sugar in a small bowl.
- Add ¼ of a cup of warm water, stir. Pour into hole in the centre of the flour.
- Cover yeast with some flour. Let stand for 10 minutes to rise.
- Stir in remaining water, blending thoroughly. Knead for 5 minutes to form a medium soft dough.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for one hour or until double in bulk.
- Place dough on lightly floured board. Divide into 10 portions with floured hands.
- Shape into balls; roll each ball out with rolling pin into rectangles 5 mm thick. Brush with oil.
- Fold opposite edges over, bringing edges together in centre.
- Spread filling over half of pastry. Then fold other half over filling shaping into an oblong.
- Seal edges well, pressing slightly.
- Heat griddle or a cast iron skillet.
- Grease with butter and place gözleme on griddle.
- Brown on both sides. Serve hot.
Ayran is almost always served with gözleme.