Flemish Yeast Dough
Delicious Flemish yeast for any moment of the day, try it ! Requires basic cooking skills.
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 150ml/5fl.oz. Warm milk
- Approx 175g/6oz plain flour
- 50g/2oz Sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2-1/2 tbsp butter, melted
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients with a whisk then make a well in the centre and pour in the egg, yeast mixture, and butter. Gradually work the flour into the liquid ingredients until you have a smooth, soft dough.
3. If necessary, add a little more flour to make a dough that does not stick to your fingers and can be rolled out easily. Do not knead or over work or it will become tough.
4. Form the dough into a ball, place in a large lightly oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave in a warm place for about 1 hour until doubled in size.
6. Punch down the dough and transfer to a lightly floured surface and using a floured rolling pin, roll the dough into a round, about 6mm/1/4-inch thick.
7. Line the prepared flan tin with the pastry, trim the edges and prick holes on the base with a fork.
8. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and leave the dough to rest and rise again for 20 minutes before filling and baking.