Fat-free Flour Tortillas
Tucsonan R.D. Skinner has recently put out a new cookbook, "R.D. Skinner"s Best in Fat-free Cooking." the book is not yet available in major book stores, but can be ordered by calling (602) 797-783. Here's a sample from the book.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1½ tbsp salt
- 4 tbsp fat-free mayonnaise
- 1¼ cup hot water
- In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir well.
- Add fat-free Mayonnaise and use pastry blender (or fork) and blend until flour mixture appears to be coarse throughout.
- Add hot water and stir well.
- Knead in extra flour.
- Cover and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Set iron griddle over medium to medium-high heat.
- Tear off a piece of dough, roll into a ball (approximately 2½").
- On well-floured board, roll dough out into a circular flat form as thin as possible (less than ⅛" thickness) approximately 6" in diameter.
- Add more flour if dough is sticky.
- Place tortilla on heated griddle and allow it to bubble slightly.
- Heat for approximately 1 – 2 minutes.
- Flip tortilla and brown other side approximately 1 minute longer.
- If tortilla has browned in variable spots and does not have a dough-like texture, then it is done.
- 155 calories | 0g fat | 32g carbohydrates | 4g protein | 0mg cholesterol