Escabeche de Pescado
This recipe is for 1 servings
- 1½ cups white vinegar
- ¾ cup water
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 4 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 swordfish or shark steaks, rinsed and dried (5 to 6 ounces each)
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- all-purpose flour for dredging
- about ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 serrano or jalapeño chile, halved and seeded
- Bring the vinegar, water, peppercorns, bay leaves, and salt to a boil in a non-aluminum saucepan.
- Let cool.
- Season the fish steaks with salt and pepper, and dredge in the flour, shaking off the excess.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the fish, and fry until brown on both sides, turning once, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Arrange half of the sliced vegetables in a shallow earthenware dish.
- Place the fish fillets on top, and cover with the remaining vegetables.
- Pour the pickling liquid over the fish; cover the dish, and refrigerate overnight or up to 24 hours.