Eggnog Thumbprint Cookies
Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: SeasonsAtHome
- Makes about 40 cookies
- ⅔ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 slightly beaten egg whites
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon rum or ¼ teaspoon rum extract
- 1 to 2 teaspoons milk
- ground nutmeg
- Beat the ⅔-cup butter in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add granulated sugar and the ⅛-teaspoon nutmeg; beat until combined.
- Beat in egg yolks and vanilla.
- Beat in as much flour as you can.
- Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon.
- If necessary, cover and chill dough about 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Shape into 1-inch balls.
- Roll balls in egg whites, then in chopped walnuts.
- Place 1 inch apart on lightly greased cookie sheets.
- Press centers with your thumb.
- Bake in a 375°F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Cool on wire racks.
- For filling, beat the ¼-cup butter until softened.
- Add powdered sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Beat in rum or rum extract and enough milk to make of spreading consistency.
- Spoon or pipe about ½ teaspoon filling into center of each cookie.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg.