- Peppermint candies, crushed
- Beat egg yolks and ½ cup sugar in stainless-steel bowl over hot water on top half of double boiler until they lighten in color and become fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- Add gelatin that has been softened in rum and brandy to egg mixture and continue beating for another minute.
- Remove mixture from heat and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whip cream, ½ cup sugar, nutmeg, and vanilla together.
- Beat egg whites until they form firm peaks.
- Fold whipped cream into chilled gelatin mixture, mixing thoroughly.
- Carefully fold in egg whites.
- Chill for 4 – 6 hours.
- Garnish with crushed peppermint candies.