Dragon Well Crispy Bean Curd
- Seasoning Sauce
- 2 Tbs. regular or low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. granulated sugar
- 1 Tbs. sesame oil
- 1/3 cup vegetarian chicken-flavored stock
- 1 tsp. nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch
- 6 large dried shiitake Mushrooms, soaked, squeezed dry and minced
- 1/3 cup carrots, steamed until soft
- 1/3 cup bamboo shoots
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil plus 3 cups for deep-frying
- “Duck” Rolls
- 2 25-inch round sheets (1 1/3-oz. each) fresh or frozen bean curd skin, at room temperature
- 4 scallions, trimmed and julienned
- 16 Peking pancakes
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1. To make Seasoning Sauce: Combine all ingredients in small bowl, and mix well.
3 tablespoons to wok and toss well. Remove from heat, and set aside to cool.
3. To make “Duck” Rolls: Place bean curd skins flat on work surface. Trim off thick or uneven edges, and square circles. Mist surface lightly with water to soften, if necessary. Cut sheets in half, and stack.
4. Stir Seasoning Sauce, spread about 2
tablespoons on bottom skin and top with second skin. Brush second skin with 2
tablespoons Seasoning Sauce, and scatter one-third of Mushroom mixture over top, spreading out to cover sheet on all surfaces. Repeat with remaining two sheets. Roll stacked sheets jellyroll fashion. Cut each roll in half, and cover with plastic wrap to firm in refrigerator for about 1 hour.
5. Heat 3 cups oil in large stockpot to 375F. Remove rolls from refrigerator, and discard plastic wrap. Deep-fry until golden brown, and remove from oil with tongs or slotted spoon. Place rolls on paper towel to remove excess oil, drizzle with remaining seasoning sauce and slice into 16 rolls.
6. To serve, place “Duck” Rolls on platter with scallions and folded Peking pancakes. Pass with hoisin sauce, adding more sauce as needed.