Downhome Tomato Soup
Always check the ingredients to make sure the product is vegan.
- 1 large onion cut in large chunks
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 x 28 oz cans whole tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- ½ cup ketchup
- 4 cups water
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 – 3 bay leaves
- ½ tsp baking soda (if needed) — add baking soda if the soup tastes too acidic.
- Add all ingredients to a large crock pot.
- Cook on high for about 5 – 6 hours.
- The onions should be soft and the tomatoes should be break up easily.
- Blend well in a food processor or with a hand blender.
- If making this on the stove, cook on a low heat and stir often.
- This soup tastes best the next day and can be frozen.