Crab Tomato Soup
- Makes 12 to 15 Servings.
- 4 quarts water
- 5 cups peeled tomatoes or 2 cans (28 ounces) tomatoes
- 1 can, 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cup pearl barley
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 ham hocks
- 1 beef bone
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 live blue crabs, cleaned and quartered, backs reserved 
- ½ head cabbage, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups fresh or frozen mixed vegetables, such as diced carrots, cut-up green beans, corn kernels, shelled peas and lima beans, in any combination
- 2 pounds claw crab meat, picked over
- Combine the water, tomatoes, tomato sauce, bay leaves, barley, parsley, Old Bay seasoning, celery, onion, ham hocks, beef bone, salt and pepper in a large soup pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the crabs and backs.
- Continue cooking for another 30 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, potatoes and mixed vegetables.
- When the vegetables are tender, remove the ham hocks and pick the meat off the bone.
- Return the picked meat to the soup.
- Discard the bay leaves and backs.
- Add the claw meat and simmer 10 minutes longer.
- Serve at once.
- To prepare crabs for use in a soup, drop the crabs into a pot of boiling water and allow to cook for 5 minutes.
- Rinse in cold water until cool enough to handle.
- Remove top shell of crabs, reserving shells for soup, as they add flavor to the soup as it cooks.
- Clean the body of the crab by removing the gills and innards.
- Break the crabs into quarters, and they are ready for use in a soup.
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/
- Blue crabs used in soup recipes are usually whole blue crabs that are female or too small for steaming.
Calories 234 | Fat 2 g | Carbs 23 g | Sodium 819 Mg | Fiber 5 G