Cornbread & Chicken Casserole
If you like, you can substitute turkey, beef, or even tuna for the chicken.
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3 cups cornbread, crumbled finely
- 1/4 tsp each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- 1/2 large onion, finely diced
- 2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack cheese, divided
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2/3 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup unsalted melted butter
- In a large straight-sided stainless steel sauté pan set over medium high heat, melt butter with olive oil. Add onion and cook until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic and sauté until golden. Remove and set aside until cool.
- Combine chicken with onion mixture along with the salt, pepper, and 1 cup cheese. Set aside.
- Place enough cornbread to lightly coat the bottom of a parchment-lined high-sided roasting pan in the aforementioned pan. Place a layer of chicken mixture on top and repeat until all has been used up.
- Combine remaining ingredients and sprinkle over top layer. Cover with foil and place in the center of a 375 degree F oven 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for 15 more minutes or until browned and bubbly on top. Serve warm.