Confetti Rice and Beans
The nutrition will be different depending on the type of rice used... brown basmati is a much better choice than white. Take care, Gloria
- Source: The Diabetes Food and Nutrition Bible
- Yield: 6 servings (about ¾ cup each)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup long-grain white rice or basmati rice
- 2 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained
- ½ cup diced red pepper
- ½ cup diced yellow pepper
- ½ cup diced green pepper
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, heat the oil.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute for 4 minutes.
- Add the bay leaf and rice and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the beans and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the pepper, cumin, and coriander and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Per Serving (about ¾ cup):
- 188 Calories | 2g Fat | 0mg Cholesterol | 200mg Sodium | 36g Carbs | 4g Dietary Fiber | 4g Sugars | 6g Protein
- Diabetic Exchanges: 2 Starch | 1 Vegetable
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/