Salt-cured codfish is available in a few markets and Italian delicatessens. It is generally packaged in small wooden 1-lb boxes or 1-lb packages in the refrigerated section. it may be freshened before use to get rid of excess saltiness; this is done by soaking overnight or at least 6 hours in several changes of cold water.
- Contributed Catsrecipes Y-Group
- The Fannie Farmer Cookbook
- Author: Marion Cunningham
- Typed By: Susan Godfrey <email@example.com>
- 15 Cakes
- 1 lb salt cod, freshened (see above)
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- ⅓ cup light cream
- 4 tbsp butter, softened
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 5 tbsp shortening
- 2 tbsp minced parsley
- When you have freshened the salt cod, simmer it for 10 minutes in a pan with water to cover.
- Drain, and flake the fish or chop it in a food processor.
- Add the potatoes, cream, butter, and pepper and blend well.
- Put into cakes about 2½ inches in diameter.
- Melt half the shortening in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- When it is hot, put in as many cakes as possible without having them touch.
- Fry quickly on each side until golden-brown, then remove.
- Add remaining shortening and fry rest of cakes.
- Sprinkle cakes with parsley and serve immediately on a warm platter.