Chocolate-dipped Walnut Macaroons
Makes 2½ dozen macaroons
- ¾ cup walnuts, toasted
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 cups cooked rice, chilled
- 2 egg whites
- vegetable cooking spray
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- walnut halves, toasted (optional)
- Chop walnuts in food processor until finely ground.
- Add coconut and sugar; process until coconut is finely minced.
- Add rice; pulse to blend.
- Add egg whites; pulse to blend.
- Spoon mixture into miniature muffin tins coated with cooking spray, filling to top.
- Bake at 350 degrees 40 to 45 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Run a sharp knife around each macaroon shell, and gently remove from pan.
- Combine chocolate chips and vegetable shortening in top of double boiler.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until melted.
- Remove from heat; set aside.
- Dip one half of each macaroon and each walnut in melted chocolate; garnish undipped macaroon half with dipped walnut half.
- Let set until firm.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or until serving time.