This recipe may be served with corn chips and condiments
- 1 lb (500 g) pinto beans
- 3 lb (1.5 kg) pork roast
- 7 cups (18 dl) water
- ½ cup (75 g) onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chili powder
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cumin
- 1 tsp (5 ml) oregano
- 4 oz (100 g) chopped green chile peppers (one can)
- Put all ingredients in a dutch oven, an electric crockery cooker, or a heavy kettle.
- Cover and simmer about 5 hours, or until the roast falls apart and the beans are done.
- Uncover and cook about ½ hour, until the desired thickness is achieved.