Caramelized Sugar Cream
In Romanian: crema de zahar ars
- Boil the milk with vanilla at slow heat.
- After the first boil, cover and keep aside.
- Beat the eggs with the sugar and the latter dissolves.
- Heat the milk again, add a little salt and pour, a little at a time, into the egg and sugar mixture, constantly stirring, until it is almost cool.
- Take a 3 qt pan and put 3 tablespoons of sugar in it.
- Heat until the sugar melts and becomes yellowish.
- Remove from heat and tilt the pan in such a way, that the melted sugar spreads all over the interior walls of the pan.
- Stir the cream a little and then pour into the pan.
- Cover and set this pan into a larger pan filled with boiling water.
- The boiling water must be ¾ of the height of the pan with the cream.
- Keep on medium heat for 25 – 30 minutes.
- The cream is ready when it comes off the pan walls quite easily.
- Remove from the water and keep in a cool place.
- After it has cooled completely, refrigerate.
- Before serving, take a large round plate and cover the pan with it.
- Then turn the pan upside down.