California Avocado Lime Pie with Meringue
- In saucepan blend: Sugar, cornstarch and salt: gradually stir in water.
- Stir to boil over medium heat and boil 1/2 minute.
- Gradually beat half of hot mixture into egg yolks: then return to saucepan.
- Stir and boil 1 minute longer
- Remove from heat and stir in lime peel.
- Blend in avocado puree. Turn into pie shell.
- Top with Meringue. Bake in 350 (moderate) oven 10 to 15 minutes until brown. (9-inch pie).
- Allow to mellow at room temperature about 30 minutes before serving.
- Meringue Preparation:
- Beat egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar at medium speed for 1 minute, or until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add Sugar, about 1 tbsp. at a time, beating at high speed for 4 minutes, or until mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks and Sugar is dissolved.
- Immediately spread over pie, carefully seal edge to prevent shrinkage.