From "Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group"
- Source: Family Circle All-Time Favorite Recipes
- Prep Time: 25 Minutes
- Servings: 12
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- ⅛ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1½ lb plum tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 loaf French bread (8 oz), split horizontally
- small fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Prepare seasoning oil: heat oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add garlic, basil and red-pepper flakes; cook, stirring, 5 to 7 minutes or until garlic is golden.
- Cool the oil and strain.
- Meanwhile, prepare tomato topping: stir together tomatoes, basil, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Heat oven to 500°F.
- Brush cut sides of split bread with about 2 tablespoons seasoning oil.
- Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake in heated 500°F oven 3 to 5 minutes or until golden.
- Slice toasted bread into 2-inch widths and arrange on a large serving platter.
- Spoon tomato topping over and garnish with fresh basil leaves.
- 126 Calories | 3g Protein | 211mg Sodium | 2mg Cholesterol | 7g Fat | 13g Carbs
- Exchanges: 1 bread/starch | 2 fat
- "Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends