Bombil Batata Bhaji
- Ethnicity - Marathi, West Indian
- Type of meal - Party, Lunch, Dinner
- Thoroughly wash the slices of Bombay duck in running water.
- Also clean the potatoes thoroughly (they'll be used with the skin).
- Dry the fish and coat the slices with a mixture of garlic paste, chili powder, haldi and salt.
- Cut the potatoes into thin slices.
- Coat with haldi, chili powder, salt, coriander leaves, green chilies and grated coconut.
- Put together the potatoes and Bombay duck, and keep aside for 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a thick bottom vessel (the traditional pan is made of brass).
- Add the potatoes and fish and let the whole thing cook on low flame.
- Initially toss the vessel (instead of stirring) to ensure that the oil spreads through the mixture (the pieces of fish break very easily if stirred).
- Cover and cook till the potatoes are done.
- Staunchly resist the temptation to open the lid and stir.