Bolognese Sauce II
- Original recipe
- Makes 3 cups or 4 servings.
- ¾ pound 90% lean, ground beef
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped carrot
- 1 x 16 ounce can chopped tomatoes with juice
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Brown the ground beef in a large nonstick skillet with the onion, garlic and carrot over medium heat; drain off the fat and return the beef and vegetables to the skillet.
- Add the tomatoes with their liquid, the wine and the seasonings and herbs.
- Cover and simmer for 40 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomato paste; simmer, uncovered, for 5 to 10 minutes, until slightly thickened.
Per ¾ cup serving:
- Calories: 203 | Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 63mg | Sodium: 694mg | Carbohydrate: 9g | Dietary Fiber: 2g | Sugars: 5g | Protein: 22g
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/