Blueberry Meringue Rice Custard
Makes 8 servings.
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 1 cup Sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 21-ounce can blueberry pie filling
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Combine rice, 2-1/2 cups milk, 1/2 cup Sugar, butter and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until thickened, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Beat egg yolks and remaining 1/2 cup milk. Stir into rice and cook 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly.
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Turn into buttered 12x8x2-inch baking dish.
- Combine blueberry filling and lemon juice.
- Spread over rice mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until heated through. Remove from oven.
- Beat egg whites until frothy. Add remaining 1/2 cup Sugar, salt and vanilla.
- Beat until stiff but not dry. Spread over hot filling, sealing meringue to edges.
- Return to oven and bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until peaks of meringue are golden brown.
- Cool. Refrigerate until chilled, about 3 hours.