Black-eyed Pea and Rice Dressing
Peas, Black-Eyed Dry by the US Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
Makes an excellent stuffing for chicken or can be served as a side dish.
- Serves: 8
- 1 cup dry black-eyed peas
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped fine
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Cook beans in water until tender, about 50 minutes.
- Drain and discard water.
- Add remaining ingredients, except cooked rice, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cooked rice, and simmer 10 more minutes.