This is a traditional sudanese recipe which i learned from sudanese friends. Its a great alternative to traditional cakes. the sound of the ingredients might put you off, but you have to taste it to believe how nice it is.
- 2 cups coarse semolina
- 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 500 ml natural yoghurt
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- cream together semolina and margarine.
- mix in yoghurt, 1 cup Sugar, coconut, and baking soda.
- pour mix into deep baking tray.
- cook for 20 minutes at 180 degrees celcius.
- when cool disolve 1/2 cup caster sugar in two cups boiling water and lemon juice.
- boil untill slightly thickened.
- pour over cooled cake.
- allow to cool.