Bean and Cornbread Casserole
Makes 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2 x 14½-ounce cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 x 19-ounce can kidney beans
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- vegetable cooking spray
- 1 x 7-ounce package cornbread mix
- 1 x 8½-ounce can cream-style corn
- green pepper strips for garnish
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add onion, green pepper and garlic; cook, stirring constantly, until tender.
- Stir in rice, tomatoes, beans, cilantro, 2 teaspoons chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Cook 5 minutes or until heated through; pour into 13x9x2-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- Mix cornbread mix according to package directions, add corn to mixture.
- Pour over top of casserole.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon chili powder.
- Bake at 400°F for 30 to 35 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown.
- Cut into 8 squares.
- Garnish with green pepper strips, if desired.