Makes 6 Servings (2 tablespoons sauce with each serving).
- 1 x 10¾-oz can tomato purée
- ½ onion, chopped fine
- 3 tbsp French-style whole-grain mustard
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- sugar substitute equivalent of 2 tbsp sugar, or to taste
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 to 2 tsp hot sauce (optional)
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ⅓ cup water
- freshly ground pepper
- Prepare the coals in the barbecue or light the grill.
- Place the tomato puree in a deep sauce pan.
- Add the onion and simmer slowly, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and add the mustard, lemon juice, sugar substitute, Worcestershire sauce, pepper sauce, (if using), allspice, ginger, and water.
- Simmer slowly for about 10 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Add the pepper.
- Makes about 2 cups which can be frozen, refrigerated for up to 4 days, or served warm immediately.
- When ready to grill, lightly coat the chicken breasts with cooking spray.
- Pat with freshly ground pepper and them place on the grill, bone side up.
- Grill, turning frequently, for 20 to 25 minutes.
- After 20 – 25 minutes brush both sides with barbecue sauce.
- Continue to grill until the chicken is no longer pink when cut with a knife.
- To serve, return the barbecue sauce to the stove and bring to a rapid boil for at least 2 minutes.
- Transfer sauce to a serving dish and pass to spoon over chicken breasts.
- 170 Calories | 10% Calories from Fat | 2 g Total Fat | 0.5 g Saturated Fat | 3 g Carbohydrates | 33 g Protein | 82 mg Cholesterol | 246 mg Sodium | 1 g Dietary Fiber
- Dietary Exchanges: 4 Very Lean Protein
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/