Banana Oat Bread
- Makes 18 servings.
- From files of Alice 2/03/93
- 2¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup honey-crunch wheat germ
- ½ cup oats, uncooked
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 10 tbsp light corn oil spread, 1½ sticks
- 1½ cup mashed bananas, about 3 medium
- 6 oz can frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- ½ cup egg substitute, thawed
- ⅓ cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
About 2 hours before serving, or early in the day:
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Grease 9"x5" loaf pan.
- In large bowl, mix first 7 ingredients. With pastry blender, cut in corn-oil spread until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in bananas, undiluted apple-juice concentrate, egg substitute, walnuts, and vanilla just until flour is moistened.
- Spoon batter into pan. Bake 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of bread comes out clean.
- Cool bread in pan on wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool slightly.
- Serve warm, or cool completely to serve later.
Each serving: about 180 calories, 5 g. Fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 135 mg sodium. Diabetic exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat