Baked French Onion Soup
From Menu and Recipes Week 3/25/07 From "Catsrecipes Y-Group"
- 6 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3 – 4 garlic cloves finely minced
- 3 – 4 tbsp olive oil
- 9 cups beef broth
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ⅓ tsp black pepper
- 8 slices white bread
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 8 slices provolone
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Remove the crusts from the bread.
- Bake bread pieces 15 – 20 minutes or until lightly browned and crisped.
- Set aside.
- Sauté onions in olive oil over medium heat until onions become translucent but not brown.
- Add minced garlic cloves to onions during last few minutes making sure garlic does not brown.
- Stir in beef broth and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 30 – 40 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings to taste adding salt and pepper as desired.
- Ladle the soup into ovenproof serving bowls.
- Cover soup with slice of bread.
- Top with provolone cheese and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Place serving bowls under broiler set on high.
- Broil 6 – 7 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and has some browning.
- Serve with additional Parmesan cheese.
- "Catsrecipes Y-Group" http://Groups.Yahoo.Com/Group/Catsrecipes/ Catsrecipes Y-Group