Annatto-reddened Grilled Shrimp with Peruvian Potatoes
- Heat the annatto seeds in a small saucepan until slightly toasty.
- Add the olive oil and continue to heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Now strain the oil and pour it over the shrimp.
- Turn the shrimp over and allow to marinate at least 10 minutes.
- Squeeze the lime over the shrimp and season.
- Put the potatoes in a large pot and cover them with water.
- Cook about 15 minutes or until just barely cooked through.
- Drain and dice them into ¾-inch sized pieces.
- Mix the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Pour them over the cooked potatoes.
- Mix gently and allow to cool before serving.
- Heat a medium-large saucepan on medium-high heat.
- Add the olive oil and butter.
- When the butter melts add the plantain slices.
- Add the chile and red onion and stir.
- Add the vinegar and reduce for 30 seconds.
- Add the cream and reduce by ⅓.
- Blend all together and strain through a medium fine strainer.