Alternative:Banana Cream Pie
|Alternative:Banana Cream Pie|
|Time:||prep: 30 minutes
cooking: ~30 minutes
| Desserts | US Cuisine
This is a pastry shell pie filled with fresh sliced bananas in a vanilla pudding type base. A layer of whipped cream is added to the top.
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 egg, whipped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ripe bananas, sliced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Prepare Grandma's Pie Crust.
- In the top of a double boiler, whisk together sugar, flour, salt and milk. Stir out any lumps.
- Bring water to boiling in lower portion of double boiler.
- Stir constantly until mixture is thickened, about 5-minutes.
- Place lid on mixture and continue cooking for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Beat egg in a small bowl. Add about 1/2 cup of hot pie filling mixture to egg in bowl and stir well. This tempers the egg so it won't scramble when added to the hot pie filling.
- Pour tempered egg mixture into pan of hot pie filling. Stir constantly and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat, add butter and vanilla. Stir until mixed.
- Slice 2 bananas. Dip slices in lemon juice, shake off excess and distribute banana slices in the bottom of baked pie shell.
- Pour half of pie filling over bananas in bottom of pie shell. Make sure banana slices are covered by pie filling.
- Slice remaining 2 bananas. Dip in lemon juice, shake off excess and arrange on top of filling in pie.
- Pour remainder of pie filling over second layer of bananas in pie shell. Cover all bananas with filling.
- Chill for about 1 hour before adding topping.
- In a large bowl, whip cream with electric mixer until peaks are just forming.
- Beat vanilla and sugar into cream and continue mixing until peaks form in cream.
- Don't over beat the mixture or it will form lumps and begin to turn to butter.
- Spread whipped cream mixture over pie filling on chilled pie. Keep chilled until served.
The pie filling is quite hot when pouring it into pie shell. Keep this pie refrigerated.