Tasty Black-eyed Pea Salad
This salad recipe and the others following are originals that i have been making for sometime. Most folk seem to enjoy them.
- 1 x 16oz pkg frozen black-eyed peas
- 2¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp chopped pimentos
- ⅛ tsp liquid smoke
- ⅓ cup cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 med. onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cup spinach leaves, torn
- 4 cup lettuce, torn
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 purple onion, sliced in rings
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms, fresh
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- Bring 1.5 cups of water to a boil, add the frozen peas, the pimento, liquid smoke, chopped onion, vinegar, and garlic.
- Reduce to simmer and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat, pour off water, and refrigerate for at least 6-8 hours.
- Combine all other ingredients in a large salad bowl.
- Mix in the black-eyed peas.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or more, then serve.