Sweet Potato Pie
- 1 sweet pastry pie shell
- 2 1/4 lbs large sweet potatoes
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream (optional: natural yogurt)
- juice of 3 clementines
- 2 tbsp superfine sugar
- 4 peeled and sliced clementines (optional, to serve)
Warm oven to 400 degrees F. Puncture sweet potatoes with a fork, then lay on a pan and bake in oven for ~50 min, until soft and cooked. Remove and reduce oven temp to 350 degree F. Peel and discard potatoe skins, then mash the sweet potatoes. On low heat, melt butter in a pan then include; the sweet potatoe, sugar, flour, nutmeg, a large pinch of cinnamon and vanilla extract. Separately whisk 2 eggs, then include in the pan, mix completely. Spoon mixture into cool sweet pie shell, spread evenly. Put on top of pie crust, whisk last egg and brush over top of pie shell. Bake for ~45 min, achieve golden colour.
Clementine Cream Whip the cream. Include and whip in clementine zest, juice and sugar. Achieve a consistency where you can create and hold soft peaks.
- Rombauer, Becker, Becker, Irma, Marion, Ethan Espe (2006). 75th joy of cooking. Simon & Schuster Inc.. pp. 686. ISBN 13:978-0-7432-4626-2.
- Oliver, Jamie Espe (2010). Jamie's AMERICA easy twists on great american classics, and more. Michael Joseph / The Penguin Group. pp. 119. ISBN 978-1-4013-2360-8.