Pears in Red Wine   aka poires au vin rouge, is a common dessert dish, use good wine!
- 4 slightly under-ripe pears (Bartletts are best)
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- red wine (good quality, robust)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 4 peppercorns
- several pieces of orange zest
- Peel the pears, leaving stalks.
- Place into a pan where they will fit snugly.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Pour in red wine to cover.
- Include cinnamon sticks, cloves, peppercorns and orange zest.
- Bring to boil.
- Cover and let simmer for ~23 min.
- Turn the pears multiple times during simmering, testing with a fork.
- Leave to cool in the pan with the liquids.
- Before serving boil down the spiced red wine.
- Strain the wine.
- Pour over the pears and serve.
- ↑ Grausman, Richard (1988). French Classics Made Easy. Thomas Allen & Son Limited. pp. 284-285. ISBN 978-0-7611-5854-7.
- ↑ Woodward, Sarah (2006). the food of france. Kyle Cathie Limited. pp. 136-137. ISBN 978-1-904920-43-4.