Passover Forgotten Torte with Raspberry Sauce
You can make both the billowy white torte and its sauce ahead of time. That's convenient for serving during the seder.
- Servings: 12
- ¾ cup egg whites (about 6) at room temperature
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ¾ tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- 1¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 450 °F.
- Grease the bottom of a 10" tube pan or a 9" spring-form pan.
- Set aside.
- In a mixer bowl, beat egg whites, lemon juice, ¾ tsp vanilla and almond extract with an electric mixer.
- On medium speed.
- Beat for about 3 to 4 minutes or till soft peaks form (tips curl).
- Gradually beat in the 1¼ cups sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, beating on high speed till stiff peaks form (tips stand straight) and sugar is almost dissolved (about 10 minutes).
- Using a rubber scraper, transfer mixture to prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Scrape around the sides and center post (if using a tube pan), leaving a small trench between the meringue and the pan.
- Place in preheated oven.
- Turn off the oven.
- Let torte dry in oven with door closed for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- If using a tube pan, loosen edges and center with a sharp knife.
- Lift out tube.
- Slide knife under meringue.
- Invert onto a serving plate.
- Cover with plastic wrap and foil; freeze, if desired.
- About 4 to 8 hours before serving, in a small mixer bowl, beat whipping cream till soft peaks form.
- Add the 2 tsp sugar and 1 tsp vanilla; beat till stiff peaks form.
- Frost the top and sides of the torte.
- Cover and chill till serving time.