Parmesan Rice and Pasta Pilaf
Revision as of 15:53, 9 May 2012 by RealRecipes (Text replace - "Category:(.*) recipes" to "Category:$1 Recipes")
I suggest using a whole grain pasta and rice here and adjust the cooking time accordingly for better nutrition. Take care, Gloria
- Source: The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI)
- Servings: 6
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup vermicelli pasta
- 2 tbsp onion
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1¼ cups chicken broth
- 1¼ cups water
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- In large skillet, heat oil.
- Sauté vermicelli and onion until golden brown (about two to four minutes) over medium-high heat.
- Drain off oil.
- Add rice, stock, water, pepper, and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Fluff with fork.
- Cover and let stand for five to 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Sprinkle with cheese, serve immediately.
- 208 Calories | 6g Total Fat | 1g Saturated Fat | 140mg Sodium | 33g Carbs | 1g Dietary Fiber | 2mg Cholesterol | 5g Protein
- Carb Choices: 2
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/