- Ethnicity - Marathi, West Indian
- Type of meal - Party, Lunch, Dinner
- 4 raw mangoes, skin removed (alternately, 5 kokums or 1 tsp tamarind pulp)
- 2 onions, chopped finely
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 2 pomphrets, cleaned and sliced
- 4 cups thick coconut milk
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- 8 curry leaves
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- ½ tsp ginger paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- Apply half the turmeric powder, half the ginger-garlic paste and salt to the fish, and marinate for 1 hour.
- While the is being marinated, grind the coriander seeds, chilli powder, turmeric powder and the remaining ginger paste to a finely ground masala. Reserve.
- Heat oil and add the curry leaves and green chillies. Then add onions. Stir fry till golden. Add and cook till done, adding ground masala mixed with 2 tbsps of water.
- When the is done, add mango pieces or kokums or tamarind paste. Lastly add thick coconut milk, and salt as needed. Simmer, boiling only once, without breaking the pieces.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with rice and pickle.