Difference between revisions of "Magret de canard aux cerises"
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
Latest revision as of 13:02, 12 October 2012
- 2 fat magrets de canard, around 1 pound each (or 4 ordinary duck breasts)
- sea salt
- 1 pound fresh red cherries
- 2 tsp clear honey, for preference thyme- or herb-scented
- juice of 1 orange, plus 4 slivers of zest
- 3/4 cup red wine
- a spring of thyme
- freshly ground black pepper
- Over medium heat warm a ridged grill pan.
- At 1/2" intervals score the fat of the magret, down to the pink flesh.
- Salt well and let stand for ~10 min.
- Put meat on the warmed grill, fat side down.
- Keep the runoff of fat into a bowl, set aside 1 tbsp.
- Keep magrets on heat with the 1 tbsp of fat, cooking for ~12 min.
- Have the pan with hot duck fat on over gentle heat.
- Include the cherries with the duck fat.
- Coat the cherries and cook for a few min.
- Include honey, orange juice, zest slivers, red wine, sprig of thyme and a few grinds of pepper.
- Boil, then reduce to simmer for ~10 min.
- Turn magrets over, flesh side down.
- Drain off any fat.
- Cook for ~5 min.
- Flip back over to brown and crisp up the fat.
- Remove from heat.
- Let stand for ~5 min.
- Heat the cherry sauce and remove the springs.
- Slice magrets across the scores of fat, spoon the cherris and sauce on the side of the meat.
- Garnish each plate with a sliver of orange peel.